This summer was yet another cool summer and as a part of summer learning I learnt Perl the most awesome language under my tool-belt. It all started with a mission of learning a new scripting language. With two options in my head, Python and Perl, the choice was obvious due to my history with Python. So I grabbed a copy of Learning Perl the best book for the beginners. In fact its the best book I have read till the date. Its concepts are divided into three levels/books namely Learning Perl, Intermediate Perl and Mastering Perl. I started reading the book and found myself enjoying the concepts. One best thing about the book was exercises after every chapter to gauge your learning and it proved its worth. I read the book from cover to cover and did all the exercises. It took me 20 days to read the book and you can find my solutions at my github repository.
I want to share some of the coolest features of the language
- Perl is the language with the most cryptic syntax, yet its cool.
- It has a very strong and powerful regular expression engine which has loads of features which is not available in languages.
- Binding Operator (~=), Substitution (s///) and Smart Matching (~~) are another cool features.
- Highly useful control structures like given-when and naked block control.
- It has redo operator which is not available in other languages.
- It has a huge community in form of PerlMonks and a huge modules repo CPAN.
I loved my learning of this cool language and still continuing my voyage..
P.S. Currently I’m reading Intermediate Perl.